Does it even matter if I come?

When my daughter was 15 or 16, many days she would come home from church crying and tell us that nobody talked to her. She would sit through Sunday School and Young Women classes and feel all alone.  This went on for over a year.  It is hard for me to imagine her feeling this way, because her best friend for 8 or so years, lives in our Ward. (I may get into this friendship later, but for now just know that my daughter felt when others were around that her friend would ignore her and just talk with everyone else).

Both of my kids take after me and are very quiet and shy around others. I don't have a problem going to church and not talking with anyone, that is the way I am. I do realize that others probably view me as mean and not nice. I recognize my faults.  However, teenagers need attention and to feel welcome and accepted.

I have been at large youth gatherings and have tried to pay attention to how the youth interact with each other.  You see groups sitting together with their friends and having a good time. I have also seen some siblings just stick together and don't join the groups with kids their own age. I don't know for all of them, but sometimes I get the feeling that they don't feel they fit in or are wanted with these other large groups.

Back to my daughter, she once brought up her feelings to her friend about why she doesn't want to go to church and how she feels nobody talks to her. Her friend responded with, yeah I feel that way too. For the last year, my daughter now has attended classes or activities just a few times. She just doesn't feel comfortable there anymore.

The leaders are aware of issues my daughter has had and have tried to help. As a parent, I am not sure she will ever go back to these classes; however, I do know that they notice how the leader tries or doesn't and this could effect their activity and feelings toward the Church.

Comments