Project or true love?

Youth leaders are teenagers and have their own teenage issues. They, like all other teenagers a lot of times, are focused on themselves. I get it, it is hard. But as a parent as well as an adviser over the youth, I see so many opportunities they have that can really make a difference.

Since my daughter stopped going to YW classes and activities, she has obviously been a discussion in presidency meetings and BYC. She can easily see when someone is doing something as an assignment or really cares. Actually, she hasn't seen anything from someone that actually cares.

Here are the things that have happened. After church a group of YW (most of the presidency) stopped by with an adviser to say hi and tell her they missed you. Truthfully, if an adviser is there, then it was an assignment. She had one YW personally text her to see if she was going to come to an activity (one of the members of the class presidency). She didn't go, but my wife told the girls mom that it was nice that someone reached out personally to ask her instead of just a group text. Well a week later, my daughter accepted an invitation from the YW President to go to a regional fireside. While there, the same girl that personally texted her, turned to the YW President and said that she had texted "Sally" and her mom said that was really nice. Now my daughter "Sally" is sitting right next to the YW President. So either this girl doesn't even know who my daughter is or looks like or well I don't know what else. But either way, she came home and knew that it was just an assignment. The last example; the Laurel President took some initiative to invite my daughter to someones house after their farewell talk and then another time she had her come over to see her new dog. As parents we were thrilled that she was trying to invite her to things. The problem comes outside of church. This same girl doesn't say a word to her at school. She even went up and talk with someone she was with at school and totally ignored my daughter. There is no way she wants to go to church activities with people who will only "talk" to her at church. 

One of our advisers showed our Deacon Quorum a great video about these situations.

Youth leaders are great today; a lot better then I was at their age. I get it. Life is hard and there are pressures all around them. But I also see so many opportunities where they could change lives for the better by just taking a little of their time.

Comments