Young Single Adult

To start out with, I wouldn't ever want to be Bishop especially over a YSA Ward. I can't imagine all of the issue they go through and the physical and mental exhaustion they must have.

My son decided that he wasn't ready for a mission right after graduation, so he went away to college for a year. The college was in a small town. Because of roommate issues, he was in a different ward each of the semesters. My son seem to relate really well to his first Bishop. He met with him quite often to discuss his testimony and preparation for the priesthood as well as a mission. Unfortunately, he didn't relate as well to his second Bishop. He met with him a few times and each time came away feeling that he didn't remember anything they talked about before and he didn't even remember his name.  After these few times, my son pulled away and didn't try to meet with him.

He also felt inadequate in Elder's Quorum meeting.  At the first of each semester, they decided to go around the room to introduce themselves.  They said, just tell us your name and where you served your mission. Of course, having not gone on a mission and feeling that he was the only one as well as having is own insecurities and anxieties, didn't help him bond with the groups.

I am not sure exactly how the YSA functions now, but I remember all of the activities that seemed to be going on when I was in college.  Back then at the University of Utah, the church sponsored or allowed LDS fraternities and sororities. This was great because there were a few (5-8 maybe?) of each and you could be part of a group that liked or did similar things to you.  You met at least once a week in your group and then would do an activity usually combining with one of the other opposite sex groups. The YSA also held dances every few months back then.  Although, I didn't take advantage of this, I heard that the institute was also a great place to hang out before, between and after classes. Combining these along with your singles ward, it seemed like there was always something to do and opportunities to meet lots of different people. Unfortunately, from what I have heard (again, one sided just from my children's experiences) you pretty much just have your ward and some sort of family home evening group.

I feel that there is so much more that the church could do in providing opportunities for these young adults especially in this small town. The college was the biggest thing there and so they had all of these young adults there and looking for stuff to do.

I would love to hear of what YSA activities and stuff is going on. Please leave a comment if you are aware of any.

Comments