Outright rude or just self centered

As I mentioned earlier, my daughter had a hard time going to classes on Sunday's because she felt alone. She decided to either go with me to Sunday School or her mom to Primary.  After a few months, one of the young men in the Ward texted her during class and asked where she was. She told him she was in Primary. After a bit of texting back and forth, he told her he was in the hall waiting for her to go to class with him. She reluctantly went with him that day. The next Sunday he asked her if she was coming to class and she said no. He asked why and she told him that she didn't feel comfortable there and no one ever talked to her and she just sat by herself. He said to come with him and he would stay with her the whole time. Again, she decided to go. Each time she still felt uncomfortable and felt that some of the kids were glaring at her. But each week, this young man came and got her after sacrament was over. One week a few months ago, she went to class again with this young man. A group of girls came in and sat on the other side of the room (the teacher has them in a circle). These girls call over to Dave (the young man) and tell him to come over and sit by them. He then tells them, no come over by him. This young women then says, well there is five of us and just one of you (and from my daughters perspective, she says this girl looks at her when she says that), so you need to come over here. Unfortunately, the young man went and sat over by them and then at least, he told my daughter to come over too. The next week, this same young man met my daughter after sacrament by the row we were sitting in. Before my daughter joined him, a different young women came over and said to him let's go to class. He told her, that he was just waiting for my daughter to go. Well they all headed off to class. After Church, my daughter said that all the way to the room, this girl stayed right by his side and talked the whole time and made sure my daughter walk behind them. After these two weeks, my daughter decided it just wasn't worth going back to this class again.

These are little things. But you would hope that when someone comes back to class after missing about 6 months or more, that we would welcome them back with open arms and be excited to see them. I appreciate this young man in our ward for trying. I don't think this was an assignment given to him as I attend the BYC meetings each month.

Part of these encounters I have seen and the others are one sided from my daughters point of view.

Comments