Looking for the good


I think we all have difficulties looking for the best in people. Maybe it's because we are all so focused on our flaws and trying to hide them.

There is a YW in our ward that is 14. She goes to a charter school that includes all grades up through high school. Well this YW has a boyfriend. Oh, no! Doesn’t she know she shouldn’t date until 16 and then shouldn’t date steady until after high school? What are her parents doing? Shouldn’t they stop this?

Well, I think her parents are doing the best job they can. We can’t take away anyone’s free agency. I know a lot of parents tell their kids they can’t date. I also know that a lot of these same kids secretly have boy or girl friends and sometimes even meet up at movies and such. We can preach all we want. We can forbid all we want. But everyone still has their agency. What is great about this family, is the open communication they have. The parents can express their feelings on different matters and their children are willing to talk with them and be open about what they want to do.

This YW finds it difficult to go to church classes and fit in. One time she had one of her Sunday School teachers come up to her and tell her she didn’t think she should be dating.  This same teacher called and asked if she would go on a walk with her. The mother told her daughter it was her choice and that they both knew what she was going to talk about. Well to be nice, this young woman went for the walk. Of course, the teacher said she has been so worried about her and wanted to make sure she knew that she shouldn’t be dating at this age. Wow. Who does this? If I was the parent, I would be floored that this neighbor would be doing this to my daughter. Well we all know this neighbor and the mom just said, well that is Susie for you.

One Sunday, this girl brought her boyfriend to church. Interestingly enough, he isn’t a member. Well the only talk I heard about this was; she shouldn’t be dating, why did she bring him to church, and I can’t believe she is like that. Not one time did I hear or hear about anyone saying great job on bringing someone to church.

We should be celebrating that she is here and that she brought a friend. Let’s welcome them both in with loving open arms.

Comments

  1. I never understood the thing about dating. Why does the Church feel it is in their scope to determine when a teen can start dating and how steady/seriously they date? That should be solely in the parents' scope and should be up to them. If they don't mind and they like their child's boy/girlfriend then that's what should matter. My mom was not happy when friends of hers from church kept pressing her to tell me I had to stop seeing my boyfriend when I was 14/15. She told them the Church wasn't my parent and had no say in the matter.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment